10 Fun Halloween facts for dancers
1.Originally jack-o-lanterns were made from turnips, rutabaga, and potatoes by the Irish
2. Pumpkins were more available in America, so they are carved now.
3. Halloween is second only to Christmas in sales.
4. Halloween is my favorite holiday because you give candy to anyone whether you like them or not.
5. The fear of Halloween is Samhainophobia- the fear of dancing is Chorophobia
6. Halloween marks the boundary between life and death with the end of summer and the beginning of fall.
7. In Mexico they celebrate the day of the dead, where they can talk to the deceased.
8. Costumes were the Celts idea of escaping the evil spirits.
9. Bonfires were bone-fires where druids would burn bones
10. Witch used to mean wise woman.
The legend of stingy Jack- or why we carve a pumpkin
Stingy Jack is an Irish legend about a drunk Irishman (surprise). He tricks the devil into buying him a drink for his soul, and the devil agrees. Jack tricks the devil out of the bargain 3 times, getting the devil to refuse his entrance to hell. When Jack dies, heaven and hell both refuse his entrance. The devil gives him a coal that he carries in a turnip and he must wander between heaven and hell for the rest of eternity.
For more dance tips, join my email
for personal wedding dance instruction, coaching or adult dance classes south of Denver, north of Highlands Ranch, east of Cherry Hills, in Littleton contact:
WEDDING DANCE instruction
Holly’s hot wedding tips,
Historically Accurate Princess Dances,
Winner of the Knot best wedding dance,
Champion Ballroom Dancer & Coach
Adventures in Dance
For dance tips,
join my email